- How do I find out more about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?
- How do I let the ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. know that I’m interested?
- Is it okay to attend other organizations’ programs and events?
- Am I still eligible for membership in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. if I belong to another Greek-letter organization?
- Are there any major requirements for membership that I should be aware of?
- If I meet all requirements specified, do I automatically receive an invitation for membership?
- Can I still work and be a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?
- How much does it cost to join Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?
- How do I become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?
- What does membership intake require?
- “How do I find out more about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?” Our website is filled with tons of information pertaining to service projects, membership information, and our national and chapter history. Feel free to explore our international website at http://www.sgrho1922.org or chapter website at sgrho.gtorg.gatech.edu and to speak with the ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. here at Georgia Tech. We want to hear from you!
- “How do I let the ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. know that I’m interested?” SIMPLE — SHOW UP! This is the single best way for you to let us know that you’re genuinely interested. Look for flyers, posters, and other media about our programs and functions. Flyers can always be found on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/GT_SGRHO, the Mega Mod in the Student Center, and around the campus. Also, the dates and times of events are always posted on our website’s calendar. Don’t only come to the social events — volunteer at our service projects, too! We notice who comes to what, and when. Anyone can talk the talk, but how many people will walk the walk?
- “Is it okay to attend other organizations’ programs and events?” SURE! Ladies need to keep an open mind when choosing a sorority. Look into all possibilities, not just Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Check out other sororities’ programs to see if they spark your interest. Find out what its members are like. Are they friendly and genuine? How willing are they to answer your questions? Do you think you could get along with as well as work with those individuals? Are you comfortable around them? Do not let stereotypes keep you from looking into a particular sorority. Initially, you may be more familiar with or feel more interested in one organization, but look at all your options. After all, this is a lifetime decision that you are making!
- ” Am I still eligible for membership in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. if I belong to another Greek-letter organization?” YES and NO. If you hold membership in another organization in the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), the Collegiate Panhellenic Council (CPC), or the Multi-Cultural Greek council (MGC), you are ineligible for membership in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. If you hold membership in another organization outside of the previously listed, then you are welcome to seek membership.
- “Are there any major requirements for membership that I should be aware of?” To be considered for membership, you must currently be enrolled as a student at Georgia Institute of Technology. Also, you must already have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on GT’s 4.0 grading scale. For freshmen, this means you must be a second-semester freshman before being eligible to join.
- “If I meet all requirements specified, do I automatically receive an invitation for membership?” NO. Our goal is to select women who not only meet the basic requirements, but also exceed them. As Sigmas, we must continue our tradition of excellence in all aspects. Although membership in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. is by invitation only, we encourage interested women who are currently pursuing a baccalaureate degree, exhibit excellent personal character with high moral code and who have a commitment to giving back to their communities through service to contact us.
- “Can I still work and be a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?” ABSOLUTELY! Most of the women in GT SGRho work at least part-time. Some of our members even have two or three part-time jobs! Of course, it is important to realize that we would expect you to make Sigma a priority. Attendance at events is expected, and there will be enough advance notice of them so you can schedule time off from work.
- “How much does it cost to join Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?” We get asked this question a lot, mostly because many people have heard outrageous amounts expected of them in order to join. Every NPHC organization has a different requirement, varying from $500 to $1000. Your initial membership fee will pay for new member materials, as well as go back to the sorority on national, regional, state, and chapter levels. Please remember that joining a sorority does require a financial commitment, as no organization can operate without funds.
- “How do I become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.?” During the semester, GT SGRho will host a meeting, sometimes referred to as an “interest meeting” or “meet and greet” but formally called our “informational.” This is an event where we discuss and answer questions about our illustrious sisterhood, including membership requirements and what we look for in candidates for membership. Women desiring to pursue membership in Sigma should absolutely attend the official informational. Flyers will be posted around campus and on the website giving the date, location, and time of the informational. Business attire is encouraged and preferred at this event. Any individual who does not attend the informational is ineligible to be considered for membership candidacy during this period. However, if you are unable to attend the information and are interested, please contact us ASAP so that we can accommodate your special circumstances.
- ” What does membership intake require?” NPHC organizations bring in new members through a process called membership intake. Each organization, including Sigma, sets an individual timetable as to when it will conduct intake according to their national and local policies. By attending one of our informational, you would be provided with general information regarding the intake process. Only if you are invited and accept our invitation to become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. will you be provided with more information.